Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In Honor of Hikaru Utada

HAPPY 27th BIRTHDAY, 
Miss HIKARU UTADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<3

If you know me and/or are my friend/family, one thing that you know about me should probably be that...

I AM A HUGE FAN OF HIKARU UTADA.  She is my all-time, ultimate favorite artist/singer/song-writer/musician!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've been a fan since I was like 12 years old, and grew up listening to her music and getting influenced.  In one of my ASA classes back in UCD, I learned that we tend to look at and look up to celebrities who are closest to you by identity and looks.  We tend to want to be like him/her, and see him/her as a role model.  Heck, I was her for 2 Halloweens!  lol.  Not to say that my life without older siblings or American parents sucked (it really didn't, and I love my parents and younger siblings dearly), but I was heavily influenced by and grew up respecting such people as Utada Hikaru/Utada, and other JA women (of various generations, both bilingual and not, and hapas as well) around me whom I've met or haven't met yet.  I've been told that I look like Utada, especially from her debut time (even though my eyes look smaller, and I'm taller than her).  Even though she grew up in both New York and Tokyo, she has dual-citizenship, she's perfectly bilingual, and she's musically gifted, I've seen her very close to me as a role model.  She is an artist closest to my identity and looks, and very talented.

I attended one of her UTADA UNITED 2006 concert tour shows; I have most of her singles and all of her albums and a few of her DVDs and her books; last spring, I was invited to meet Utada through Haseena at a radio station but I couldn't due to a final exam, but thanks to Haseena, I got a personalized autograph; and I called up another radio station to talk to her but was too nervous and am not satisfied with the conversation, but I feel lucky enough.  HOWEVER, I STILL WANT TO MEET HER SOMEDAY.  This will not change, for I have full respect for her.  Her releasing her 2nd English album and promoting her work in the US more, really made me think why I'm so obsessed with her (but I'm not a lesbian or bi).  But there's nothing wrong with being a fan.  We respect and support whoever we want to.

After coming to Japan via JET and then hearing about her US tour, made me feel sooo disappointed.  Not being able to be there at any of her concerts crushed my heart.  I thought, 'such bad timing!'  I hella wish I could be in my hometown, SF, to see her there.  It could've been my chance to finally meet her.  Plus, if she were to have concerts in Japan again, it'll be on a totally different scale.  But, we can't have everything we want in our lives.  I can only appreciate what I have now (JET was one of my dreams, but meeting Utada is another).  I can only send her messages that she might not ever read.  I can only continue to support and respect her all the way.  I can only continue to wish and hope that I'll get to meet her someday.

2 comments:

  1. You are totally a fan!
    I like her songs, too, but I like many songs, too...LOL
    She'll be back in Japan, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She lives in both Japan and USA...

    I posted another entry so plz check it out if you have time/feel like it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete