Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sat. 8/1/2009 Journal Entry


飛行機に乗った。Our flight was delayed, and we didn't get to board until 1:40. The background music being played right now and the images of those who we saw before going through the security, really makes me teary-eyed. This music number really fits JAL and flying across to another country. As a person fond of internationalization and a fan of JAL, I am constantly inspired. This feeling is indescribable, but it is a moving feeling.

I have been waiting for this day, this moment to come. Its been almost 10 years since I started dreaming of doing JET. Today, I get to enjoy two things I love and have admired for a very long time. This is my 17th flight to Japan, the motherland of people of Japanese descent. I have always been fascinated by JAL, traveling, and taking my trips as adventures. This atmosphere has affected who I am, who I grew up into/as. It might be because of my mother and her passion of traveling/flying and her unreached dream of becoming a flight attendant. My parents immigrated to the US a few dacades ago, and I've been lucky to be able to go to Japan many times to visit relatives and such.

I have always loved going to Japan. It was an outlet for me. Not having any relatives in the US, I have really appreciated seeing my relatives once a year or every few years. This was my happiness while growing up. I would dread leaving Japan, thinking that Japan is better and more fun. As I grew older, I learned to appreciate both countries, and grew more interested in US-Japan international relations.

Finding JET Progam pamphlets at my Japanese school, Kinmon Gakuen, and my consistent interest in Japan really drew me to become a JET participant and human "bridge." My name has also been really significant. What I grew up loving has been instilled in my name Asuka, which means "flying bird" in kanji (for me). The aircraft/plane can symbolically be a flying bird. It carries many people, many dreams, many memories, and many desires. As a flying bird in a flying bird (airplane), I wish to someday serve as a flight attendant for JAL. I feel like I have a duty to fulfill internationally.

The many views available through the windows makes me think wow, we live on a beautiful planet (despite global warming, etc.). It makes me feel positive and warm inside. Most of us have our loved ones from where we're departing. In the country of destination, many of us also have people we know. At least our friends and acquaintances accumulate over the years. The mechanical "flying bird" has continued to connect many people and many cultures of many countries. I want to continue to be a part of that. Part of that special feeling you get and the connections, relations, and networks you acquire.

As I depart for Japan from SFO today, I reflect upon the many events of my life thus far. Its been 2 years since I flew to Japan, and on JAL. Since then, I have grown even more as an individual. So much has happened over the years.

This day has finally arrived. It's finally hitting me that I'm finally going to Japan on the JET Program. My dream is finally starting to come true, and I am going to cherish every moment of this new journey.

Our flight is even more delayed because of an airport congestion. Oh great... but it's okay. I am enjoying the J-Pop music channel right now. I can't wait to be in Japan, my fondest destination.

2:48pm, 8/1/2009, SFO, JAL

Economy seat sucked. Should've taken Premium Economy. Oh wellz.

No comments:

Post a Comment