
So... I have SO much to say about these spectacular couple of days about a week ago.
Saturday, 9/19/2009:
Kishiwada Danjiri Festival Day 1. Because I was sick and recovering from a cold, I slept from 6pm the previous night (9/18) and happened to wake up at 3am!!! I got up thinking that I can't sleep much longer and can't go back to sleep, I started cleaning my apartment, but went online until around 9am, video-chatting with Sachi and the guys, and then my bro Hyuma. I couldn't believe I was up from 3am and how much my sleeping schedule was messed up. So after finishing chatting with the people from back home, I got ready to go to the main KISHIWADA DANJIRI MATSURI (9/19-20/2009) area.
I met up with Grace around noon and we walked ALL THE WAY down to the Nankai Kishiwada Station and then walked further down with some our friends. It was super crowded! We went to the Information Center for Foreigners, signed in, got free head stuff, took pics, and got info. We munched on some food.

Then, I went back to the Nankai Kishiwada Station to greet Stacy, Daisuke, Eliot, Heidi, and Travis (JETs), who came all the way from Ehime. We went to the Info Center again and took pics.

So that day, we just bura-bura shita-ed (walked/hung around) outside and inside the CanCan Bayside Mall too. I also saw some other JET folks here and there.
Then, in the evening, we had spaghetti at Jolly Pasta way up the hill. That day, I walked so hella much!! I also walked home after we parted. It was soooooo far!!! I was soooo sore!
Then, in the evening, we had spaghetti at Jolly Pasta way up the hill. That day, I walked so hella much!! I also walked home after we parted. It was soooooo far!!! I was soooo sore!Sunday, 9/20/2009 (Stephanie's 22nd birthday):
Kishiwada Danjiri Festival Day 2. I biked to the wrong post office, but eventually made it to my new friend (referred to as Mr. T from now on; he's the same age as my mom and is a hella cool dad to 2 daughters, the oldest one being the same age as my youngest bro)'s jikka (the house he grew up in; he no longer lives there). I parked my bike outside his house and a few of his friends (whom I know from a bread-making class) and I ran/walked to the special seating section/stands (kanran seki), which Mr. T gave me a ticket for.
From there, I sat next to other people whom I met for the first time that day, and watched the Danjiri from there from around 8am-10am. It was such a nice view. We saw one Danjiri almost topple over because it was wobbly when they turned. Then, Mr. T's sister and her friends took me back to near Numa-cho, and hung around. I saw 2 of my students there, and also saw a man showcasing his top tricks. Then, Mr. T's mother served us delicious "leftover" food for lunch.
From there, I sat next to other people whom I met for the first time that day, and watched the Danjiri from there from around 8am-10am. It was such a nice view. We saw one Danjiri almost topple over because it was wobbly when they turned. Then, Mr. T's sister and her friends took me back to near Numa-cho, and hung around. I saw 2 of my students there, and also saw a man showcasing his top tricks. Then, Mr. T's mother served us delicious "leftover" food for lunch. At around 1pm, I joined the Numa-cho (Mr. T's hometown) Danjiri group! I ran next to them! I got to experience the festival first-hand by running with the Numa-cho Danjiri group, thanks to a new friend, Mr. T.

BACKGROUND INFO: It's a very masculine festival (only girls under 18 can pull the ropes with the boys/men), but I (22 year old female foreigner) had the rare opportunity to run with the group on the side, by the mothers helping their little kids and others, for over 5 hours. It was freakin' awesome!!! I was not a spectator this time, but someone part of this Danjiri (although I'm sure many people were wondering what I was doing there running and not pulling...nor helping anyone). I saw 2 more students running for Numa and took more pics. It was such a great (moving and memorable) experience (taiken)!!





After running and walking for over 5 hours, we had delicious dinner (sushi, etc.) at Mr. T's jikka. I met more people and it was fun chatting, eating, and drinking.
Kids playing the traditional Japanese flute! So cool!
In the end, we watched the Danjiri go back into the garage, and then saw a sumo competition amongst some of the young adult group (seinen-dan) men. Numa-cho follows this tradition according to a legend. Numa-cho is the only town who does this, so it was more special to see. IT WAS SUPER FUN AND EXCITING!!! IT WAS SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE!! I CANNOT THANK MY NEW FRIEND ENOUGH!
I wanna say more but I'm running out of time. I wanted to combine Danjiri with the rest of Silver Week, but it's getting late and I don't have any more time to update. Good night. Ugh, the weekend is pretty much over. We went camping this weekend. I'll update more later.





No comments:
Post a Comment