Teachers need to deal with a lot of crap, but Japanese teachers (esp. those with homerooms) care so much more about their students, spend much more time, and work much harder compared to American teachers (at least according to my experiences. I'm sure most other JETs agree with me). ほんまに大変そうやで。I'm kind of glad I'm not a regular teacher here in Japan. I've been in this workplace atmosphere for a little over a week now and have observed the faculty. Most of them are so busy and I often see them running around doing their stuff. I guess this is why I feel bad just sitting around and doing nothing much but read, do Sudoku, eat fruits that Ms. K gives me everyday, use the computer to make worksheets and use the internet, and drink tea, etc. That's why I've asked my JTEs if there's anything I can do to help. But they've been telling me that there's nothing until next week when I finally start teaching officially.
Yesterday, I think I was most helpful out of all days though. I helped Ms. K type up an English Pre-test and print it out. I also joined one of Ms. T's classes and assisted her just to check it out. I only intended to observe, but since I didn't know where the English Room is, Ms. T took me there and had me assist her. Being in a Japanese junior high school setting for the first time was interesting. Similar to the school dramas I've grown up watching, yet very different and more realistic, with a Kansai twist. Facing about 40 students, I noticed the lively and caring relationship between the teacher and students. Some students are much louder than others. They're lively and I saw many hands being raised.
It was funny when a few of the students had their hands raised, they didn't know the answer, didn't have their textbook to refer to, and/or were surprised when they were called to participate. I thought to myself, "then why did you raise your hand?" I assumed that all the students who raised their hands had an answer to say, but that was not always the case. Many of the students in this class are not shy. There's some comedians/class clown-type students too.
My JTE told me to make a short introduction about myself (even though I'm gonna have lessons about myself next week) and she made me talk about my family of 5. She asked for my brothers' names and ages. Since my name is Japanese, I don't think they were that surprised, but they may've been surprised by the uniqueness of the names.
I made one mistake. I knew it'd be difficult to pretend like I don't know Japanese. I'm not permitted to speak to the students in Japanese (I've spoken to the recitation students to help them. and a few others in Japanese though). Well, a student in this class noticed that I understood what they were saying. In my mind, I was like, oh sh*t. In response to his question, the JTE told the students that my parents are Japanese so I understand Japanese. She didn't say that I speak it though, haha. Ever so slightly, I told her something like: "oops, I need to be careful." So for the rest of the class period, I sort of pretended like I didn't know Japanese by responding to only the English they were speaking.
Also, while we were doing "repeat after me"s, I heard a few kids say that my English is so good and that their teacher's English is easier to understand. Well duh, I was born and raised in the States. I'm not a fobby immigrant (no offense), lol.
Anyway, I also found it funny how a student asked out loud in Japanese (without raising his hand): "sensei, you can conversate with her (me)?" And the teacher answered back in Japanese: yeah, I can speak so I'm having conversations with her." A few students tease their teacher. This is what happens when there's two teachers in the room (different ones at that). They compare. But the JTE of course has to act as my translator (as I'm pretending like I can't speak Japanese) and the main instructor to the students. I'm only a native English speaking assistant.
I wonder how long I can resist speaking Japanese to the students (anywhere in the school, in and out of classes) or how long it will take until they know I speak it. I need to be more careful. It's not only about speaking their language; I also need to show that I don't understand what they're saying. But it's hard... if they say something funny in Japanese, I'll laugh.
We played hangman in the end. After helping a student with ther recitation speech practice, I was uber bored.
Today, I am bored again. If only I had JLPT books to study with. I helped 2 students with their recitations again and did a few other easy things until I excused myself from the school for the day. Tonight, we celebrated Mindy's birthday. One more day and the weekend is here!! Then I will start teaching...

Senpai!
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool how the schools are similar to the ones in dramas. Hopefully you won't encounter any classes like what Yankumi had, lol.
Just out of curiousity, how is the Kansai dialect different from others, like what you'd hear in Tokyo? Is it lots of different slang, or different words, etc?
I still think it's really unreasonable for the faculty to expect you not to speak in Japanese at all. Your bilingualism is an asset, not a hinderance. If anything, you're even more valuable because you can easily explain English concepts in English and Japanese.
I'm looking forward to reading more of your exploits! Please keep posting.
<3 Midori
p.s. I sent the care package yesterday, and the post office said it should take a week to get there by air mail. So look for it in about a week or so. I hope you enjoy the stuff!
THANKS, Midori-chan!! Again, you're the best! You're awesome!
ReplyDeleteThe Kansai dialect is quite different compared to standard Japanese. In the workplace, I often hear polite Kansai-ben, and most of the words are the same as standard, but the intonations and endings are different. Pretty much the same goes for in the classrooms, where I hear a lot of casual/slang. I prefer standard Japanese, but Kansai-ben is interesting. And in the community, there are seniors who speak Kishiwada Senshyu-ben which is sooooo freakin' hard to understand! It's like gibberish or a whole nother language! So yeah, here and there, there are some words I don't know, but for the most part, I can get by. I still speak in standard JPN, but when I type, I like to have fun with Osaka-ben.
Well, in classes, it gets inevitable that they know I speak Japanese. The students question, and ask whether or not I speak Japanese. And the JTEs mostly reveal it to them. I guess I'm not completely prohibited from speaking Japanese after all. In class though, I need to speak in English, and the JTE will translate. I don't like it when they can't translate the way I want them to though.
Yeah, there are pros and cons to this thing. They want me to speak solely in English, but there are times when I need to speak in Japanese. If I don't speak in Japanese, there will be misunderstandings and miscommunication. But if I don't mostly speak in English, the kids will take advantage and only speak to me in Japanese because many of them want to communicate in Japanese. But I think using both = internationalization, so whatevs. There are some students who are really interested in English and USA, but there are also brats who don't give a damn cuz they're Japanese and think that English is unnecessary.
It's funny how a few students want to say to me "you're so good at drawing pictures" in English, but they tell me that in JPN, and I say thank you. And then they go to another teacher (whose English sucks) to ask how to say "you're so good at drawing pictures" in English, instead of asking me.
I'm meeting more and more students, and more and more are finding out that I can also speak Japanese, but there's still some who don't know.
I'll update this blog again regarding my first week of official lessons soon.
Thank you! I also sent a package to SF on Monday... hopefully it'll get there in a week. I don't know when Hyuma can give it to you though. Take care, sistah!!!<3
Love,
Asuka